Tuesday 29 November 2011

info-graphic

I chose to do my info graphic on Twin Atlantic. Being the only band I've seen live more than once and knowing Ross (the bassist, and his sister Lucy for many years) it seemed an obvious choice.
After spending too long looking at facts, figures, information and statistics and not coming up with any decent ideas, I decided to re-search the bands fans myself. I started by looking on fans Facebook pages and trying to find things they had in common that related to the band.
After reading an article about Twin Atlantic, this quote really stuck out:
"fans are already showing up at gigs with their logo and lyrics tattooed to their bodies."
So I looking at a few profiles and noticed the amount of tattoos their fans have, not only this, but the amount of lyrical quote tattoos the fans have too. In particular, twin Atlantic lyrical quotes.
I then started to note the actual quotes and the amount of fans I found with these particular tattoos.
When it came to actually designing my info graphic, it seemed most fitting to use a map of the UK, because the fans profiles I viewed were all from UK. I wanted to make my info graphic really typographic (using different script fonts) to get across the style of the tattoos and the feeling of rock/grunge that the fans seemed to have.
I also decided to take note of the fans ages and genders and where in the UK they are from. Having gathered this information I then created the key. For the text outside the map I wanted to use a font that would relate to the band, therefore linking the band and fans. So I chose a loosely kerned sans serif font with a tall cap height (similar font used for Twin Atlantic's logo and on Cd's/merchandise)
I decided to include the banner at the top to highlight the "fans tattooed" because the banner style reminds me of old English style, relating back to the style of the old map and tattoos.
For the guitars in the "age" section of the key, I tried to use the idea of different styles of guitars that relate to different age groups, the acoustic being the youngest, the flying v the teenagers/20's (most popular) and the Les Paul to indicate the 40+ age group. Overall my info graphic design was aimed to be mainly typographic (because I prefer the look of type than charts or graphs)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,

    In General,I love the design.I particularly like your use of typography in the different parts of the UK map.It is a clever approach in illustrating the fans with tattoos in the various parts of the UK.It portrays that old age feeling, in addition the colours clearly add to that fact.

    You are right about the feeling of rock and grunge.The whole design shows that old English style.It reminds of the old treasure maps which I have seen in museums,movies and even cartoons.

    The only concern I have with this design is the age section in the key.If you could correlate the size of the instruments with the age range and percentages.I think it will be more effective after doing that but maybe that was your strategy.

    Good stuff here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph,

    I think your infographic looks really great as a whole and I would also say that it reminds me of an old treasure map/ pirates that maybe adds to the fact that it is about tattoos.

    I really like the use of type. The actual fonts used, the scale, and how they are positioned and fit into the map looks really good. However, when I first looked at your infographic I didn't know it was to do with tattoos and I don't know why because now I think its really obvious. I don't know whether it was because of the map or the sillhouette of the UK that had thrown me off I'm not sure.

    The key at the side works well with the design because it is quite simple and doesn't take away from the main graphics. I don't know whether the bold colours could have been changed because it doesn't fit in with the black ink and the old map. I also don't understand the resemblance of the guitars to the age groups and I'm not sure whether its just because I don't know anything about guitars?

    I do like the design as a whole and I think that the type used on the map looks really good together and althogh they are close together and different sizes, this also reminds me of what tattoos are like as a sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the theme you chose for your info-graphic (: I found it very interesting to read and clear to understand.

    Your use of type works really well as it reflects the content, due to script typefaces being used for tattoos often.

    The use of a map is successful as it communicates clearly which areas of the UK have certain tattoos, I found this an interesting way to display your data.

    Perhaps you could underline the word "key" to make it stand out just a little more. This would also reflect the Twin Atlantic logo, due to the lines used in their design.

    Another suggestion is that maybe you could illustrate the icons in the key to fit with your overall style of your info-graphic. For example solid black icons or just outlines for the guitars.

    Overall, I find your info-graphic really successful due to your use of good layout techniques and relavent type.

    Well done (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tattoo style you have created and the map with the scripts looks great!

    The typography for the tattoo theme is very appropriate for the style you have gone for but it is a very different style from the Twin Atlantic logo. I don't know anything about Twin Atlantic so I am then confused between the neat sans serif logo and the tattoo style as I think they suggest very different things.

    I understand the tattoo style came from the data you chose to show but you could maybe have shown it in a style closer to the band current visual style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie. Disregard most of these comments, please. I think everyone's been smoking crack.

    ReplyDelete